Frequently Asked Water Questions
FOR AFTER HOUR EMERGENCIES CALL (541) 473-5125
- Q: Is there a water deposit required to start service?
- A: Deposits are $136 and are due before services are started. After a customer has 12 months of good credit history with the City (no late fees or disconnects) then the deposit is applied to the customer’s account as a credit. If a customer closes an account and the deposit is still on record, then the deposit is applied to the final bill. Reference letters will also be accepted from another utility (electricity, phone, gas or water) in lieu of a water deposit.
- Q: When will I receive my first bill?
- A: Bills are mailed the 1st of every month.
- Q: When will my meter be read?
- A: Your meter will be read the day you want the account put into your name, and then all meters are read about the 23rd of each month as long as you have an active account with the City of Ontario.
- Q: Is there a minimum bill?
- A: Minimum bills are $63.82 for all active single-family residential accounts, regardless if there is water consumption at that address. Bills include charges for water, sewer, storm drain, and UCF charge.
- Q: How much is water?
- A: For Residential areas, water is $11.40 base rate and then it is $1.54 for every 1,000 gallons.
- Q: How much is sewer?
- A: Sewer is a flat rate of $50.96, however, depending on when you move into your residence, your first month’s bill will be prorated. We recalculate sewer averages (based on water consumption between November and March) every spring and it changes on your August 1st statements for residential and June 1st statement for businesses.
- Q: What other costs will be on my bill?
- A: Storm is a flat rate of $1.16 per month and UCF (Utility Capitalization Fee) is 17 percent of your water charge. UCF goes toward maintaining and repairing City water lines.
- Q: When are Utility bills due?
- A: All bills are due the 15th of every month, unless you are moving and received a “final” bill, then you will have a special due date 14 days from the date the “final” bill is mailed. If the 15th of the month is on a weekend, then bills are due the following Monday. If you have a deposit on record, your deposit is applied to your final bill.
- Q: What if my Utility payment is late?
- A: Late fees are calculated at .10% monthly (annual percentage rate 9%). Visa and MasterCard are acceptable forms of payment, in addition to cash, personal checks and money orders.
- Q: What if my water is turned off for non-payment?
- A: Termination notices are mailed 7 days before water is terminated. Water service is terminated after an account is 45 days delinquent. Personal checks are not accepted after water is disconnected. Bills must be paid in full before reconnection, including a $40 reconnect fee and $136 deposit if previously not on record with the City.
- Q: What if I need to turn off my water to make repairs in my residence?
- A: Please call the Water Department at 881-3246 and we can make arrangements to send a meter reader to your residence. The City can turn your meter off and on, at no cost, during the same day of your request -if prior to 4:30 p.m. There may be charges if the service is requested more than once.
- Q: Who do I call if I need my water shut off for an emergency after your office is closed?
- A: You need to contact the police department at their non-emergency phone number, which is (541)473-5125. They will call someone to go out and shut water off for you.
|Ontario Water Department
|Ontario Water Department Fax #
|Ontario Sanitary Service
|Idaho Power - General Information
|Department of Motor Vehicles
|Cascade Natural Gas
To make payment on your Utility Bill, Please call (541) 889-7684